Laney CUB12R tube and speaker change questions

For discussion of all current Laney amplifiers
inEden
MortalMortal

Laney CUB12R tube and speaker change questions

Postby inEden » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:04 am

Hello,

I have a Laney CUB12R and while it is good I want to get the best out of it but I never done any mods to amps before so I have a couple of questions.

Would I have to get the amp biased if I just change the preamp tubes? Also should I change the power tubes as well?

And I am looking to buy a new speaker for the combo and I read in the manual the speaker is rated at 8-16 ohms. This site I am looking at has a Celestion Vintage 30 and has an option to choose between 8 or 16 ohms. Which one should I choose?

I am thinking of the Celestion Vintage 30 because it seems to be the popular choice but any suggestions would be more than welcome. The tone I want is something that has a fat low end and glassy highs.

Thank you.

User avatarVoxman
ZeusZeus

Re: Laney CUB12R tube and speaker change questions

Postby Voxman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:29 am

The Cub12R uses an 8 Ohm speaker - where did you see 16 Ohm?

I put a V30 in mine, huge improvement tonally and volume-wise - first is my vid with Les Paul, second with Strat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQmTpbAW884
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGlzUmL1Y8
Laney VC30-210, GS112VE, Cub 12R
Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX,AD212
Marshall DSL401, Valvestate 8080
PRSCu24
Gibson LP Custom,SG Standard
'69 Fender Strat (orig)
50th Ann US Strat Deluxe
'89 US Telecaster
2010 US Strat
Epi Sheraton MkII
Washburn EA30

MarkS1969
MortalMortal

Postby MarkS1969 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:59 pm

The OP probably refers to 16 Ohm because of the external speaker out jack, which is suitable for a 8-16 Ohm load.

An internal speaker change may improve sound in some way, such as the above mentioned V30 which has a 100dB sensitivity over the 95 dB of the stock one.(That is, if you've got the Celestion Rocket 50 inside, dunno about the Cub12R's which came stock with a HH speaker)
It will make your amp LOUD as hell.
I tried different speakers, sound did improve, but it still sounded rather thin and boxy.
My biggest improvement however came by connecting a bigger cab (regardless of the speaker I put in). It gave me a more mature, bigger and meatier sound.

User avatarVoxman
ZeusZeus

Postby Voxman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:12 pm

To really give a huge sound even from the stock amp, try a 7-band EQ in the FX loop that will let you tune frequencies in much more effectively than just the onboard tone controls. The difference is staggering! Plus, by raising the EQ level you'll get a clean volume boost to. :wink:
Laney VC30-210, GS112VE, Cub 12R
Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX,AD212
Marshall DSL401, Valvestate 8080
PRSCu24
Gibson LP Custom,SG Standard
'69 Fender Strat (orig)
50th Ann US Strat Deluxe
'89 US Telecaster
2010 US Strat
Epi Sheraton MkII
Washburn EA30

andyman
AphroditeAphrodite

Postby andyman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:31 am

For this particular amp I do not think I would recommend a bright speaker.

I have tried the cub 12r with my open back extension cab with a 8 ohm celestion G12H annivesary and it is hard to dial in. THe G12H is a pretty bright (some say scooped), celestion and the 1.8KHz-4KHz is really pronounced on this speaker.
I tried to adjust for a fairly clean sound but it does not sound right (playing a telecaster).

I studied the amp's schematic and come to the conclusion that the amp is more or less a JCM800. It has 4 gain stages before a marshall type tonestack (cathode follower) so the TMB knobs do less than say a plate feed fender tonestack after the first gainstage.
THe amp sound much better when the gain is set above 12 o'clock as it has a 100 pf bright cap bypassing the gain pot.
The extra brightness when the amp is set for a clean sound and the 0.68µf/2.7K setup on V1 followed by a small value coupling cap 1,1nf, makes for a very high midrange/trebly amp when the TMB controls are set around noon.

My Laney LC30 had a tonestack that was a blackface plate feed type with more bass and low mids coming from V1 due to a 2.2µf bypass cap followed by a 22nf coupling cap. Lush cleans sounds with little effort.

Have anybody dialed in a fairly ok clean or semiclean sound on their laney cub 12.

The stock rocket 50 is actually a little more balanced than the Loud G12H.

User avatarmazzola59
MortalMortal

Postby mazzola59 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi all,

I just joined the forum, and am enjoying reading about my amp here. I live in an apartment, and noise is an issue for me so, I had been playing through a blackstar 10 watt solid state amp. The amp never satisfied my tone bone so, I went out and got the Cub 12R because of it's <1watt input. I still have trouble however, coaxing good tones at low volumes. Mine came with the rocket 50 by the way. Any suggestions besides "move to a place where noise isn't an issue?" Does anyone know of a replacement speaker that would sound good clean, and crunchy at bedroom volumes? Or am I basically f*d?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by mazzola59 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never stop playing!

User avatarmazzola59
MortalMortal

Postby mazzola59 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi all,

I just joined the forum, and am enjoying reading about my amp here. I live in an apartment, and noise is an issue for me so, I had been playing through a blackstar 10 watt solid state amp. The amp never satisfied my tone bone so, I went out and got the Cub 12R because of it's <1watt input. I still have trouble however, coaxing good tones at low volumes. Mine came with the rocket 50 by the way. Any suggestions besides "move to a place where noise isn't an issue?" Does anyone know of a replacement speaker that would sound good clean, and crunchy at bedroom volumes? Or am I basically f*d?

Thanks for any help.
Never stop playing!

Return to Current Laney Products