Laney VC15 - speaker change

For discussion of all current Laney amplifiers
andrius
MortalMortal

Laney VC15 - speaker change

Postby andrius » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I'd like to somehow improve the sound of my Laney VC15 (with 10" Jensen C10Q8) - thinking of replacing the speaker. What would you suggest? I have no experience with speakers at all...
How do I want it to sound? I really don't know - I don't have much experience. I just know that I am not completely satisfied with its sound. Sometimes it sounds to me quite "boxy" - like the sound's coming out of a box (but I don't know, maybe I imagine that wrongly). With that said, it's sometimes for me AS IF it's too dark. For example, I almost always switch "brightness" on when playing clean - that helps, but still I think if I got a brighter speaker, MAYBE I'd get more out of it. When I use a drive channel, the more gain I add, the less the "brightness" works. I mean, with 1-4 gain I can feel the difference between "brightness" switched on and off, but at some 7-10 I almost don't hear it. I guess a brighter speaker would improve the sound of drive channel too.
I have Rothwell Switchblade distortion pedal, and when I use it with a clean channel with no "brightness", it sounds too dark, I don't like it at all that way; when I switch the "brightness" on, it's good. That's another indication of brightness/darkness problem, I think. But I've been told by one person that the Jensen speaker actually makes it too bright, so I may be having a wrong notion of what's bright and what's dark...

I tried a cabinet with 12" Vintage 30, and I think it may have sounded too bright for me, but then the brightness may have been switched on - I did not think about that switch then.

Anyway, I may be wrong assuming it's all about brightness/darkness. Maybe it's actually some other dimension I am really concerned with. Don't get me wrong: it sounds kind of okay the way it is - my biggest concern is that it's kinda "boxy"... So since you people know more about the speakers, maybe you could suggest me something.

I noticed that the Laney website calls those two inputs, which are LOW and HIGH on the amp, NORMAL and BRIGHT. I've always been using LOW input, since HIGH, according to the manual, is for single coil and low output humbuckers, and LOW is for higher output humbuckers. So I tried HIGH input, and it sounds kind of better, but that might be just a mental thing, because I imagine it should be brighter, according to the website. Question is whether the HIGH input is REALLY brighter or not... So is HIGH input just louder or is it really brighter too?

I'm using a Les Paul type mahogany Tokai guitar with humbuckers (Japanese MK2).

By the way, in this review the guy says that VC15 won't fit an Alnico speaker, because it's "there's no much space between the back of the ceramic speaker and the output tubes": http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1991219-Vox-AC15CC1X-versus-Laney-VC15-thoughts-and-debates

telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: Laney VC15 - speaker change

Postby telbert twang » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi

SOme lines from my personal experoience:

Original C10Q - nice speaker with good cleans and crisp drive tone (when broken in) but should be in 2x10 config with that amp, in my opinion...

Emi Legend 1058 - was not bad. more ´rocky´ . I think I gave too little time to finally find out how it would match the amp, didnt even let to break it in ... felt a ´solid workhorse´ though.

Emi Copperhead - although people seem like it/them in other amp brands , for my ears it sounded too boomy in Laney . The mids got weird ´overbeat´ . reverb sounded worse. It sounded kind of ´too warm´for VC15....

and yes - the AlNiCo wouldnt fit - the power tubes are pretty close to the flatter design ceramic´s magnet already...

Jensen MOD 10-70 - good surprise . Cheap. worth a try . I still have it in my VC15. Comparing to C10Q - more bass, louder, warm(er) but still clear. Nice drive tones , creamy mix with the known ceramic jensen crisp crunch. Gives the amp the feel towards "a small 1x12". I have the MOD 12-70 as well , in the amp´s open/closed back ext 1x12 cab . I can use my custom set either 1x10, 1x12, or 10+12 (its got a switch to not cut out the internal 10" , but this way the ext cab can be used only 8-ohm in series)

User avatarVoxman
ZeusZeus

Postby Voxman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 am

The Jensen is a very good speaker (I have 2 x C10Q16's in my VC30-210) & I wouldn't waste your money changing it - just make sure its properly broken in (needs to be played at volume for a good 20-30 hrs to achieve this). Use whichever input gives you the tone you want - there are no rules; I tend to stick with the high input regardless of guitar.

I'd try experimenting with:

(1) different tubes
(2) an external EQ (this may be best in the FX loop or direct, so experiment) to give you much greater tonal control than just the onboard EQ
(3) the amps bright switch

Rich :wink:
Laney VC30-210, GS112VE, Cub 12R
Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX,AD212
Marshall DSL401, Valvestate 8080
PRSCu24
Gibson LP Custom,SG Standard
'69 Fender Strat (orig)
50th Ann US Strat Deluxe
'89 US Telecaster
2010 US Strat
Epi Sheraton MkII
Washburn EA30

telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby telbert twang » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 am

andrius,

I think I understand what you mean by describing the stock VC15 being kind of "dark" (while still having the 1x10 "bright" C10Q onboard, right). Thats why I started to try out the other speakers as well. I´d say the VC15 IS a bright amp, but , VC15´s overall "warmness" (o.t.o.h. being kind of, tight, focused - suspect the op-amps) gives a weird combo with the 1xC10Q. Probably 2xC10Q would sound much better , specially on cleaner settings. I still recommend to try out teh Jensen MOD 10-70. It makse your amp sound bigger, much less boxy . Its just too cheap to not to try out :) You´d be surprised how much the boxy-factor would be neutralised by installing the MOD 10-70... All-in-all - VC15 is a great small amp with decent features and tone, even in 100% stock.

andrius
MortalMortal

Postby andrius » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 am

Thank you for the advices, guys.

JakaJ
MortalMortal

Postby JakaJ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:28 am

Hey Guys,

Laney VC15 - speaker... next part of the saga

I am really happy with the broken in jensen, but I miss some more bass - as well as volume. The legend 105 is nice and a bit thicker, but still no real bass, it is slightly louder, but breaks up at 5 on the dial - which is sometimes very nice - but unneccessary with a gain stage...

I am thinking of either putting an eminence Ragin Cajun in there or building a 12" cabinet to house it and fit it with a Cannabis Rex- I know for a fact that the cannabis rex gives the amp a nice full and quite a bit louder presence.

I woul prever the Ragin Cajun - to keep the volume small - but have no idea if it will be loud enough compared to the Legend, that just isn't - well not clean anyway...

How about the mod 10-70 - is it quiet like the other jensens or is it more efficient?

(I love the sound so much I am thinking of getting a vc30 - but since I hace the vc15 I would just prefer to make it loud enough for gigging - currently I am lugging my C-rex filled HRD around - it would be so much cooler to have the little VC do a monstrous sound - I also really like the drive it does much more than the HRD (improved as it may be with the C-Rex)

Thx for your help,

JJ (My name - I prefer TADs in the VC)

P.S.

TAD now does new valves - supposedly thicker and stronger in the bass - anyone tried 'em?

telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby telbert twang » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:35 pm

hi,

sorry for my late correction - everything I said earlier was NOT about the MOD 10-70 but 10-50 instead... i remembered the model incorrectly

JakaJ
MortalMortal

Postby JakaJ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Telbert, if you're still around this thread ... are (were) you using an 8ohm or 16ohm jensen mod 10-50? There's a reasonably priced used 10-50 16ohm but I\m not sure if it wouldn't be a weaker sound...

Return to Current Laney Products