Calling Owners of pre-'73 Laney Amps - Need Your Help

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Calling Owners of pre-'73 Laney Amps - Need Your Help

Postby Alnico » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:19 pm

I want to clear up the confusion and misinformation surrounding the production dates of early Laney amps. I also hope to be able to make some sense of the serial numbering system(s). I've looked over the data I have from my own amps and photos I've collected, and a pattern is beginning to emerge, but I really need more data to confirm my findings.

So, if you have a pre-'73 (Supergroup and earlier) Laney, I would appreciate it if you could spare a few minutes to provide me with some information on your amp. I'll elaborate on these below, but this is what I need:

1. Serial number (if any) and how it's applied.
2. Back of chassis - bare metal, painted, or plastic panel? If plastic, please state the exact model information as printed on the panel.
3. Logo type - blue plexi, black plexi, or plastic?
4. Type of cloth on front of cabinet.
5. Control panel labelling - Laney Sound Systems, or just Laney Sound?
6. Chassis material - steel or aluminium?
7. Transformers.
8. Date codes on the mustard caps.

I've included photos here to clarify what I'm after. Some of these were found on the web, so if you see one of yours, I hope you don't mind...

1. Serial number (if any) and how it's applied.

Stamped

Tape (red or black)

Aluminium tag

2. Back of chassis - bare metal, painted, or plastic panel?

Early, painted blue

If plastic, please state the exact model information as printed on the panel e.g. "Laney Sound Systems 70 Watt" or "Laney 100 Watt Supergroup Series MkI"

3. Logo type - blue plexi, black plexi, or plastic?

4. Front panel cloth.

Black

Vynair (similar to Marshall pinstripe)

Grey cloth

5. Control panel - Laney Sound Systems, or just Laney Sound?

6. Chassis material - steel or aluminium?

7. Transformers - please relate any part numbers and codes you can find on these, and the make (if known). The later amps (c. '69-up) had Partridge transformers, like this:

8. Date codes on the mustard caps. These are printed below the voltage rating e.g. in this photo the small cap is C9 and the larger one D8:

If you wish to help, please email the above details to me at: supergroup AT virginmedia DOT com

Please put "Laney" somewhere in the subject line, so it doesn't get filtered as spam. Feel free to include photos, as long as the message size doesn't exceed 8MB. No information, photos or email addresses will be shared with anyone else, this is merely an attempt by me to work out a timeline for these things and come up with some firm guidelines for dating them, which I'll then post here as a new thread.

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: Calling Owners of pre-'73 Laney Amps - Need Your Help

Postby oldvalve » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 am

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2045

Here's one of my earlier ones....
Next time I can get into it I'll send details

User avatar6 10
MortalMortal

Postby 6 10 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi. As I've just became the owner of a Laney 60 amp, I thought I'd better register here. I'm also an old, but not very active, member of the Vintage Amps Bulletin Board.
I'm in Sweden.

Alnico, I will e-mail you the details of my amp. It's the one you've already helped me about on the VABB.
But I also want to ask you for a favour! Now when you collect these interesting information, could you also ask for date codes on Erie capacitors?
Of course many of them have been replaced, but if they are still there, or around, it would be nice to get that info as well.

Here is an interesting topic about the date codes for Hunts and Erie caps, but it's still quite confusing.
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/show ... hp?t=78250

From what I've found out by comparing with Hunts caps from three different Vox amps from -63 to -65, and Erie caps from my "new" Laney and som more, the first suggestion may very well fit for Erie caps, but should be reversed for Hunts from some time in the early 60's.

/Sixten
/Sixten

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks for the link, that's useful. The information I've requested is really the bare minimum and I was wary of putting people off by asking for too much, but of course the more information, the better. I've had no submissions yet, so maybe it is too much to ask... :|

We could also include pot codes, though they're not always easy to see. The earlier amps had RS pots, with numerical month and year stamps e.g. 5-7 would be May 1967. Later amps had AB/CTS pots, which have a similar date code format to mustard caps.

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:25 pm

hi, sorry came to this slightly late as I am not on here as often as I would like. So I have two LA100BLs 100 watts.
Both grills are grey. One has the later post 60s plastic black background with silver logo on it, the 5019 has the clear background with blue logo. Both say Laney Sound Systems.
Both have the stuck on issue number at the back one says: 5030 the other 5019. Neither have the partridge transformers as pictured but transformers that look way older.
If I get into the amps again I can let you know what the internal information is, but since both are working great I don't really feel like disturbing them.

Interested in knowing what you have found out with regards to getting some conclusive dating done on these?

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks, that's a start! Nobody has sent me any information yet, so nothing concrete yet. :?

gozitano
MortalMortal

Postby gozitano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi to you all ,40 years ago to-day (21/7/1972) I bought a new Laney 100 watt Super PA ,which consists of an amp with six inputs and two tall columns with 2x15 inch Celestion greenback speakers and 2xGoodmans Midas horns in each column and also up to this very day are still in my possesion and still are being used and in all these 40 years only a resistor had been changed everything else is still there original ,the Brimar powertubes 4xEL34 and the Brimar pre-amp tubes the capacitors all are there and it works very good and very quite.the serial number is stamped on a metal plate.

evendine
MortalMortal

Postby evendine » Sun May 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi Alnico,

know this is an old thread, but just wondering if you had much success collecting info on pre-Supergoup amps?

I'm currently writing a paper on the very early 1967 models, having been given one to restore, so would be very interested in any info you may have...

Return to Pre-Supergroup (1960's)