First Laney - 1972 PA (Supergroup?), 60 watts

First Laney - 1972 PA (Supergroup?), 60 watts

Postby circusinthesky » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Hello all,
New Laney owner here. (And new board member.) A 60 watt PA head. What a sound! Cleans on the verge of breakup, bristling with energy and harmonics, till you lay in and attack the strings. Just a great tone. Really did not expect EL34's to sound like that. Guess its the preamp circuit, but my plexi clone doesn't quite have that sense of raw electricity.

A few problems with the amp, as you'd expect for the age.
1. An occasional snap/crackle sound when actively playing. Bad cap, I suspect.
2. Crackly presence pot. Sounds like FB on the pot, but possibly normal on that amp. Does anyone know?
3. Does anyone have a schematic for this amp?

Otherwise, pretty good. OT was replaced with a newer Drake. Missing Laney badge. (Not gonna hold my breath out on locating one any time soon, but if anyone knows of a source, there's a beer in it for ya.)

I'm going to get a larmar Master vol in there asap, but as is, it should keep up with bass and drums without much effort. Anyone else modified one of the other PA channels?

Okay, thanks for any help. I guess I'll get busy reading up on threads and doing searches.

Re: First Laney - 1972 PA (Supergroup?), 60 watts

Postby circusinthesky » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Not too bad in there. My amp tech said one of the power cable wires was laying up against a power tube socket. (hum)

lunchbox
MortalMortal

Re: First Laney - 1972 PA (Supergroup?), 60 watts

Postby lunchbox » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Right on!! :D

Return to Supergroup (1970's)