Supergroup backgroun hum

will01quinn
MortalMortal

Supergroup backgroun hum

Postby will01quinn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:16 am

Hi, I am new to this site, only just found it today. I have had a Laney Supergroup for at least the last 6 years or so. In that time it has always had a few issues. I am experiencing a bit of background hum on my Supergroup. I have a scratchy presence POT, and when presence is set to near max and the treble gain control is close to max I get an awful high pitched squeal. Even before I get the squeal if I am plugged into a guitar with distortion I can hardly crank the treble gain at all.

The amp has the original Erie caps, 56k Bias resistor but has been modified in the past. The Power Transformer (I think thats it anyway) has been replaced at some stage with a Drake Transformer, presumably from a marshall amp. Could my problems stem from this?

I'm not an electronics wiz so can anyone provide possible suggestions for my issues?

I made a recording and uploaded if anyone wants to have a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LBoREWx9hg

Thanks for any help or advice provided.

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: Supergroup backgroun hum

Postby pombagira » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:34 pm

your best is to take it in for a service. It sounds to me like all the common attributes of an amp that just needs a good service. Where are you based? Over the previous six years you have obviously lived with these issues. Background hum is common and they will always do it, but the squealing is something else. I have suffered from this before but I just can't remember what the problem was...I'm sure if you search on line someone would have posted something about it.

will01quinn
MortalMortal

Re: Supergroup backgroun hum

Postby will01quinn » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm based in Northern Ireland and I'm having trouble finding someone to give it a service. My local music shop is rubbish, they give very poor advice so I won't ask them for anything as I don't trust their work. They once tried telling me that as long as a power adapter pin will fit in an effects pedal then it will power it. I knew of course this was rubbish but the guy wouldn't listen to me. I don't expect them to know anything about tube amps as a result.

If there is anyone on here know anyone in North or Southern Ireland within about an hour of Omagh County Tyrone who can do the work, the advice would be very much appreciated.

Return to Supergroup (1970's)