"supergroup for restoring" and ohm question

macdool
MortalMortal

"supergroup for restoring" and ohm question

Postby macdool » Thu May 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi everyone.

Heres my supergroup.

Im looking for all the original bits so I can restore it.
Last edited by macdool on Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laney Supergroup Mk1 100w
Laney GS412V Cab
Unknown Bass 1x15 Cab w/celestion driver
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

macdool
MortalMortal

Re: Supergroup to be restored

Postby macdool » Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 am

I had my first jam with this new cab the weekend and it sounds great but a bit too clean for my liking, the 1x15 cab I have (which I did not connect because I don't know how), has a very dirty dark Sabbathy sound so I want to connect them both but I don't know how to get the right ohmage.

If the 4x12 cab is 4ohm or 16ohm and the 1x15 cab is 8 ohm how would I go about doing that?

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_amps/how_to_hook_up_heads_and_cabinets.html

According to this site (which was very helpful), if I connect them in parallel and use the 16 ohm channel on the 4x12 the total Ohms works out to 5.3 ohms, and with the 4 ohm channel it works out to 2.6 ohms.

Now on the amp there are 3 settings, 3ohm, 8ohm or 16ohm. Would the 3ohm setting carry a 5.3 ohm load? Apparently the cab must always be higher than the amp.

or would it be better if I connect them in series and change it to 8ohms for a 12ohm load???
Laney GS412V Cab

macdool
MortalMortal

Re: "supergroup for restoring" and ohm question

Postby macdool » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:41 am

Come on people help me out here..............

Basically, Will it blow up if I don't match it perfectly?

Im dying to plug them both in and let this amp GRUNT!
Laney GS412V Cab

ninnghizidda
MortalMortal

Postby ninnghizidda » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 am

I can't really be of any help aside from saying that when I was a kid and didn't know any better, I'd always plug my 16ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack on my Crate Blue Voodoo, always using a guitar cable. Sometimes the really cheap molded ones that come with brand new Squiers and such. I never had a problem. The tubes were at least a decade old, as well. Don't read this, try it, kill your amp, and then get mad at me. This forum seemed to die right around when I joined, so I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

User avatarDavidDenson
ModeratorModerator

Postby DavidDenson » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 pm

macdool wrote:I had my first jam with this new cab the weekend and it sounds great but a bit too clean for my liking, the 1x15 cab I have (which I did not connect because I don't know how), has a very dirty dark Sabbathy sound so I want to connect them both but I don't know how to get the right ohmage.

If the 4x12 cab is 4ohm or 16ohm and the 1x15 cab is 8 ohm how would I go about doing that?

According to this site (which was very helpful), if I connect them in parallel and use the 16 ohm channel on the 4x12 the total Ohms works out to 5.3 ohms, and with the 4 ohm channel it works out to 2.6 ohms.

Now on the amp there are 3 settings, 3ohm, 8ohm or 16ohm. Would the 3ohm setting carry a 5.3 ohm load? Apparently the cab must always be higher than the amp.

or would it be better if I connect them in series and change it to 8ohms for a 12ohm load???

You shouldn't be connecting a 1x15 to a 4x12 at all in my opinion.

It's not worth the bother. The added 1x15 wouldn't make any noticable difference anyway most likely!

That 4x12 is all you need. The only way I would add another cab to it was if you got another 4x12 and made it a full stack.

Set your amp to 16 ohms, plug into your Laney's 16 ohm jack...and let that be the end of it, until you can buy another 4x12 cab....though honestly if you don't plan to play stadiums and arenas, you don't even need a full stack...a 4x12 is PLENTY loud and powerful, esp. with a supergroup which needs to be turned up loud to achieve any distortion!! :wink:

Alternatively, you can set your amp to 8ohms, and plug into your 8ohm 1x15...but just one or the other cab. If you think your 4x12 is too clean, then maybe try different speakers. But honestly, this is just the nature of a supergroup which is an amp that is more on the clean side (compared to other amps) and needs to be dimed all the way to get any distortion at all. And it is LOUD when turned up. I wouldn't mind having a supergroup for a collectors purpose...but I would still use my AOR head for actual playing (with the AOR function off), to get closer to a vintage sabbath sound. Either with an AOR amp or a regular Pro Tube Lead amp anyway imo...more control and versatility with the settings than with a supergroup. Or actually, a Laney Klipp would be closer to the vintage sabbath sound as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4W1UrfofU
Amps:
Laney AOR 100 8 Knob
Laney LC30II
Fender Frontman 25R

Laney Cabs:
AOR 2x12 G12M70s
AOR 4X12 G12M70s
4x12 G12P80s

Guitars:
Epi LP Custom
Burny LP Custom
Charvel Model 1
Charvel Model 1C
Custom SuperStrat
Xaviere Acoustic/Electric
Alvarez Classical

macdool
MortalMortal

Postby macdool » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 am

Ya I have been told by a few people now that it is a bad idea to use different size speakers because of the wave lengths not gelling.

Im using it for bass so I think I'll use the 1x15 in the meanwhile, those 12s just don't go low enough, until I get my hands on a decent bass cab.

Anyone in SA want to buy the Laney 4x12 cab?
Laney GS412V Cab

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am

DavidDenson wrote:
macdool wrote:I had my first jam with this new cab the weekend and it sounds great but a bit too clean for my liking, the 1x15 cab I have (which I did not connect because I don't know how), has a very dirty dark Sabbathy sound so I want to connect them both but I don't know how to get the right ohmage.

You shouldn't be connecting a 1x15 to a 4x12 at all in my opinion.

It's not worth the bother. The added 1x15 wouldn't make any noticable difference anyway most likely!

That 4x12 is all you need. The only way I would add another cab to it was if you got another 4x12 and made it a full stack.

Set your amp to 16 ohms, plug into your Laney's 16 ohm jack...and let that be the end of it, until you can buy another 4x12 cab....though honestly if you don't plan to play stadiums and arenas, you don't even need a full stack...a 4x12 is PLENTY loud and powerful, esp. with a supergroup which needs to be turned up loud to achieve any distortion!! :wink:

Alternatively, you can set your amp to 8ohms, and plug into your 8ohm 1x15...but just one or the other cab. If you think your 4x12 is too clean, then maybe try different speakers. But honestly, this is just the nature of a supergroup which is an amp that is more on the clean side (compared to other amps) and needs to be dimed all the way to get any distortion at all. And it is LOUD when turned up. I wouldn't mind having a supergroup for a collectors purpose...but I would still use my AOR head for actual playing (with the AOR function off), to get closer to a vintage sabbath sound. Either with an AOR amp or a regular Pro Tube Lead amp anyway imo...more control and versatility with the settings than with a supergroup. Or actually, a Laney Klipp would be closer to the vintage sabbath sound as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4W1UrfofU

I agree! :D

Return to Supergroup (1970's)