Calling All Supergroup Owners

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Calling All Supergroup Owners

Postby Alnico » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm compiling information to help ID and date vintage Laney amps. I hope to come up with a definitive timeline and dating guide, which I'll post here. Please see this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3679

coleatkinson
MortalMortal

Re: Calling All Supergroup Owners

Postby coleatkinson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 am

hi, i am looking at buying a laney supergroup MK1 but i have a weird question. the one stated ins a MK1 but it has the lang Big L logo in the top left instead of spelling out LANEY. is this a MK1 and they changed the logo? or is this not even a supergroup at all? please answer fast!!

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:37 pm

If it's the one on Ebay, the chassis is definitely a Supergroup, but the L logo and cloth on the front are Klipp-era i.e. the series which came after the Supergroup. Late '72/early '73 Supergroup cabs came with the newer Klipp-style logo (I know of two), but still had the older grey cloth. I suppose it's possible that the last of the Supergroup amps also had the new logo, but I've never seen one. I doubt that the logo and cloth on this amp are original, but I'd need to see it first hand to be certain.

Back to the original topic - zero responses so far... does nobody want to help? :|

coleatkinson
MortalMortal

Postby coleatkinson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:19 pm

do you think it is safe to ship a tube amp over sea? is it has the tubes taken out and put in bubble wrap? and the amp put in a box with styraphome and has fragile stickers?

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:59 pm

don't see why this would be a problem. I've certainly shipped from the states amps that have had their interior packed with bubble wrap and then the valves individually wrapped. I would ensure the amp is also wrapped tightly in bubble wrap

sgman
MortalMortal

Postby sgman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 am

Hey there!

Still interested? I just sent you a link to some pictures, please notify if you haven't got them. I would really like it if you could tell me something about the date of this Supergroup. As you can see on the pics,there is written 10-2-72 on the chassis with a pencil. Is this the date? 1972? Based on the logo, I would think that it was older than that. What do you think?

Cheers, Claus

Return to Supergroup (1970's)