Looking for a decent Supergroup cabinet repro

fenrisulfr
MortalMortal

Looking for a decent Supergroup cabinet repro

Postby fenrisulfr » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Well I've been lucky enough to find a nice Supergroup MK1 100W here in Southern California. I won't be holding my breath for a cabinet. So I was looking to find a nice repro and found this guy selling some on ebay that looked the part. You can see them here: http://www.byronamps.com/cabs/4x12.htm. He makes a Hiwatt clone and just a generic "vintage British" style. The generic one looks just like the SG cab to me. One thing I was wondering about is that these repro cabs have this "Ported baffle (like a vintage Hiwatt) for superior low end response". I'm guessing it's like the "bass reflex" holes in a bass cabinet. Did the SG cabinets have these? Can anyone recommend any other cabinets, repro or otherwise? Thanks!
1989 Pro Tube PT100
Late '60's (any help dating would be appreciated) Supergroup MK1 100W

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: Looking for a decent Supergroup cabinet repro

Postby pombagira » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 pm

The supergroup cabs as far as I am aware never had a baffle, certainly the two I own don't. Supergroup cabs continue to be extremely rare even in the UK so you are not alone in finding a viable alternative

fenrisulfr
MortalMortal

Postby fenrisulfr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:26 am

pombagira wrote:The supergroup cabs as far as I am aware never had a baffle, certainly the two I own don't. Supergroup cabs continue to be extremely rare even in the UK so you are not alone in finding a viable alternative

Thanks for the info! I went ahead and ordered one of those Byron cabinets I mentioned. They look close enough to the SG cabinets. I guess the baffles were a Hiwatt thing.
1989 Pro Tube PT100
Late '60's (any help dating would be appreciated) Supergroup MK1 100W

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 pm

I imagine so. the cab should be pushing more air and tone with the vent I would have thought

Return to Supergroup (1970's)