pics of supergroup

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

pics of supergroup

Postby pombagira » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi everyone, well some of you asked for a pic of the two Laney LA100BL, the precursor of the supergroup. This pic features the two amps plus two supergroup cabs. Note the top amp has the Laney badge on the wrong side, since this amp came from a guys father who played in Jeff Lynn's psych band Idle Race in the 60s. I therefore decided to keep the amp as he had it.

Gruppersoup
MortalMortal

Re: pics of supergroup

Postby Gruppersoup » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:37 am

I think there should be a Sub Section in the "Classic" laney section for "REALLY" classic amps...like Pre 1975. Supergroups, Klipps, LBO etc.
Anybody else?
We'd be a small, but LOUD bunch for sure :twisted:

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:28 am

I totally agree, for those who are not remotely interested in AOR models for example hahahaha

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 pm

No, they should have a sub-section for '80s Laneys and we'll keep Classic Laney for the old stuff. 8)

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:57 am

:D

Gruppersoup wrote:I think there should be a Sub Section in the "Classic" laney section for "REALLY" classic amps...like Pre 1975. Supergroups, Klipps, LBO etc.
Anybody else?
We'd be a small, but LOUD bunch for sure :twisted:

Gruppersoup
MortalMortal

Postby Gruppersoup » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:21 am

so , who do we have to sweet talk to make it happen?

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:56 am

oh man that looks so lovely. I think is actually important to try and pool the information we have about these amps, at least then we can find out how things progressed from the LA100BL to the Supergroup. For example the Tony Iommi connection is commonly banded about, but was he using the LA100BL or the actual Mark 1 supergroup. There is also a short piece of footage on the BBC 4 Paranoid legendary album documentary where it looks like Geezer is running three 200 watt supergroups or perhaps LA200BL, if that coding is correct. On the same show it also shows them using an Orange backline. So yeah photos, experiences people have had using these classic amps alongside Klipps etc. would be really interesting. Perhaps there could be a cut off point of 1979.
Also a list of the amps made from the 60s with accompanying schematics etc. would be incredibly useful. When you read the knowledge and information that is so readily available on a forum such as the Sunn forum, I wonder why we can't have something similar on this forum. For me at least this is my favourite forum therefore I feel passionate about how we might develop the forum.

User avatarkombi1976
ZeusZeus

Postby kombi1976 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:04 am

+1 on the register.
Mystifies me why we don't have more info when Laney has been going so long with the same ownership.
Cheers & God Bless

Laney Gear:
    L60PA Head
    A3012 Combo
    A50H Head
    IRT-Studio Head
    HCM412A cab w/Celestion Rocket 50s
    GS112VE cab w/Celestion G12H-30

Guitars:
    '11 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic
    '05 Gibson SG Standard
    '56 Gibson ES-225TDC

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:17 am

I know, it's almost like they have washed their hands with regards to the production of the most formidable amps ever made in the UK in the late 60s and early 70s. And that's the thing, not wanting to hark on about the Sunn forum, but they actually have people who worked at the factory or at least had a close relationship with the company, but I wonder where the employees are who worked for Laney at the time? It's if Laney are now satisfied with issuing amps that refer to their past mastery without having any knowledge about what they did back then. For myself I believe these amps and cabs require indepth attention because they are historical artefacts.

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 am

I think they evolved something like this:

The earliest amps had smooth Rexine covering, black piping, black cloth and a blue on silver Laney badge. These amps have hand lettered control panels and no rear panel; the back of the chassis is paintedwith blue Hammerite. I've never seen a 100 watter like this, but given that they made a 200, you'd think there must have been some 100s.

The next change was the switch to a grey Vynair cloth (similar to Marshall pinstripe) and white piping. Apart from the amp in the well known photo of Earth, I've only come across this PA head with those features. The PA has no rear panel on the chassis, just bare aluminium.

Next up was the black on silver badge and the standard grey cloth. All those I know of have stamped serial numbers in the 300s.

The first amps with steel chassis had serial numbers in the 5000s, on Dymo tape. As far as I know, these were the first to have the moulded plastic badge and plastic handles.

Finally, the change to Partridge transformers, "Laney Sound" on the front panel and "Supergroup" on the rear panel. These have the serial number box on the rear panel left blank.

I'm not claiming any of the above as authoritative, this is just what I've gathered over the last few years. I wonder if this might be better posted as a new thread? :?:

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 am

thank you so much that's very interesting indeed. So do you have possible dates between different models. This is the most informative thread about those early LA100BL amps that I have ever seen. Your thread should be the first in a new sub section that solely focuses on Supergroup amps and Klipps!!!

Gruppersoup
MortalMortal

Postby Gruppersoup » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Yes good post & info!
The only gap is in the last ( era) section...

Seems all mine are With Partridge trannies, 'Laney sound' on front, but NO "Supergroup" on back. hence the "Pre Supergroup" era.
The SG's had also a Line out or Slave output on back, which these slightly earlier models didnt...but seem pretty identical esthetically to the previous era ( like mine )

PS; what are the switches on the bottom head in the 1st pic?
interesting!

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I shall go over my collection of 100W photos again and see what I can learn from the back panels. Are yours all 100W amps? The 60W amps were never labelled as Supergroups.

The 200W amp has bright switches - more info here: http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49694

Gruppersoup
MortalMortal

Postby Gruppersoup » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Ah, never a 60w Supergroup...interesting.
I have a 100 & a 60, neither say SG. but both LANEY SOUND.
Also a 50w 2x12 combo ( see pic ) laydown tranny, no SG .
The KLIPP is a different animal altogether!

Also, I remember seeing that post on the other forum re: your 200 watter! seems I asked the same question back then too! musta forgot :oops:

toneseeker59
MortalMortal

Postby toneseeker59 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow. This thread makes me salivate for a few more amps! Too bad these classic 60's models are so hard to find in the States.

I have never been able to understand why it's so difficult to find definitive info on the timeline of Laney's amp production. The company has been helpful when I sent them requests for info on their more modern (mid-80's to present) amps. Info on amps from the "pre-master volume" era, by contrast, is sparse.

I currently own a pre-AOR Pro Tube Lead 100...still a master volume amp, but no pull boosts on any of the pots. A very loud and bright amp indeed, but it's no Supergroup. Thanks for the pics and information. Keep it coming!

Next

Return to Supergroup (1970's)