laney supergroup cab wiring info required

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

laney supergroup cab wiring info required

Postby pombagira » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi everyone just opened up the supergroup cabs I bought before xmas to see what ohmage the speakers are. I found that in the A cab some muppet had put two 8 ohm replacement speakers in with two 16 ohm speakers. Whipped those out while waiting for a friend to give me a couple of goodman speakers. In the meantime I put a celestion 75 and Hot 100 both 16 ohms that I had sitting idly by. Cab sounds pretty balanced for an A cab. Then decided to look in the other supergroup cab which is a b cab and found that the postive on the top terminal is running to postive on the bottom speaker terminal, likewise for the negative running from top to bottom speaker on negative. The circuit is being created by having a wire running across from the negative to positive terminals between top two speakers and then again between the two bottom speakers. I've never seen this formula for wiring a cab for 16 ohms. For 16 ohm cabs I would wire postive to negative between top and bottom speakers and then have the two parallel connections running between positive and negative between two top speakers and likewise with the two bottom speakers to create 16 ohms.

here's a pic to show you the strange wiring diagram...of course my main question is does this keep the cab at 16 ohms?

here's a link if anyone wants to look at the wiring in the cab...
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh17 ... C00076.jpg

User avatarkombi1976
ZeusZeus

Re: laney supergroup cab wiring info required

Postby kombi1976 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:32 pm

It might but it can't be good.
From what I can work out it would have 2 of the speakers running out of phase from the other 2. :|
I can see that it would change the sound but I'd say it would suck.
It looks bad to me.
Cheers & God Bless

Laney Gear:
    L60PA Head
    A3012 Combo
    A50H Head
    IRT-Studio Head
    HCM412A cab w/Celestion Rocket 50s
    GS112VE cab w/Celestion G12H-30

Guitars:
    '11 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic
    '05 Gibson SG Standard
    '56 Gibson ES-225TDC

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:30 pm

yes that's what I think as well. however when I fired the cab up it sounds really good.

I know there are alot of ways to wire 16 ohms just never seen it done this way. Wiring looks untouched to me. Of course my main concern it ends up killing the amp

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Appears to be running 8 ohm speakers in series to get 16 ohm and the 16 ohm parallel to stay 16 ohm cab load. The 8 ohm aren't getting the proper voltage for full sound however it will work...no worries to amp if the load is still 16 ohms, just not as efficient.

pombagira wrote:Hi everyone just opened up the supergroup cabs I bought before xmas to see what ohmage the speakers are. I found that in the A cab some muppet had put two 8 ohm replacement speakers in with two 16 ohm speakers. Whipped those out while waiting for a friend to give me a couple of goodman speakers. In the meantime I put a celestion 75 and Hot 100 both 16 ohms that I had sitting idly by. Cab sounds pretty balanced for an A cab. Then decided to look in the other supergroup cab which is a b cab and found that the postive on the top terminal is running to postive on the bottom speaker terminal, likewise for the negative running from top to bottom speaker on negative. The circuit is being created by having a wire running across from the negative to positive terminals between top two speakers and then again between the two bottom speakers. I've never seen this formula for wiring a cab for 16 ohms. For 16 ohm cabs I would wire postive to negative between top and bottom speakers and then have the two parallel connections running between positive and negative between two top speakers and likewise with the two bottom speakers to create 16 ohms.

here's a pic to show you the strange wiring diagram...of course my main question is does this keep the cab at 16 ohms?

here's a link if anyone wants to look at the wiring in the cab...
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh17 ... C00076.jpg

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:40 pm

well I normally run 16 ohm cabs anyway so if this wiring is okay and gives me 16 ohms then that's fine. These goodman speakers seem to be 15 ohms speakers from what I can tell. Unlike Celestions these don't have a strict ohmage impedance sticker but there is a 15 on the magnet along with other information regarding the product number etc.

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:13 pm

having done some more research I found the exact same wiring diagram for early sound citys..so this does work. In the end I took the goodman speakers out of the A cab, plus the two mismatched g12 75 and hot 100, and put in four 8 ohm rola celestion speakers. The cab sounds truly incredible. I only decided to take all four speakers out because I could hear the remaining goodman speakers were sounding a bit tired.

Return to Supergroup (1970's)