super city..was it a supergroup rebadged

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

super city..was it a supergroup rebadged

Postby pombagira » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi everyone, I have found an amp that is badged as a super city, I am wondering whether this is one of those music city amps that were really a supergroup but have been rebadged. The owner of the amp seems to think that it is a london city amp, but I'm not convinced because the font and angle of lettering on the rear of the amp is exactly like the supergroup. Someone also says it is a 200 pa amp, however the amp is very light, and weighs something close to a 50 watt amplifier. So does anyone have any ideas about what this oddity could be, it would be great to hear from someone who has a supercity amp.

paraclete
ZeusZeus

Re: super city..was it a supergroup rebadged

Postby paraclete » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Pics could help. But I think you may be right-based on this pic of one:

http://www.basgitaarforum.nl/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a

Sorry no easier way to link it from here- just copy/paste it all into the url bar.

But based on that, if that's what we're talking about, it looks like it could very well be a Supergroup or some mixed-badge-marketing variation therof. Maybe some re-badged or other oddball marketing thing between Laney, Sound City, etc.?
Mike Kelly Patriot Quilt top
B.C. RICH Bich 10
B.C. Rich ST-III w/DiM ]
Homebuilt Tele
83 "Deepest Purple" strat
100 watt MV AOR head
GH100L
Mini St

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:45 pm

wow you actuallty found a picture of one, yes this is exactly the same as the one i have seen. I am thinking about buying it since it is currently in a shop but was slightly put off both by the price and the lack of info about the amp. Especially since this was badged a 200 pa by someone who could have never looked at the guts of the amp. I wonder if anyone else can share some light on this oddity...it is certainly intriguing. In terms of weight it certainly doesn't seem as heavy as my laney supergroup, the A/B that I have dates from the late sixties, I anticipate this would have been manufactured in the early seventies. Like it's counterpart in the picture it looks like it has never seen a venue..

User avatarkombi1976
ZeusZeus

Postby kombi1976 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:59 am

If it's not a rude question how much are they asking?
Have you had a chance to play through it?
Cheers & God Bless

Laney Gear:
    L60PA Head
    A3012 Combo
    A50H Head
    IRT-Studio Head
    HCM412A cab w/Celestion Rocket 50s
    GS112VE cab w/Celestion G12H-30

Guitars:
    '11 BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic
    '05 Gibson SG Standard
    '56 Gibson ES-225TDC

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:08 am

price isn't fixed, well they said £800 but at the same time told me everything is negotiable. Because I haven't walked in and brought some money with me I haven't had an opportunity to actually try it out. And at present money is tight because I have in the last few weeks bought two ampeg blueline svts and an amp that has been on the top of hit list for a few years a West Fillmore 200 watt. So money is tight but my intention is to make an offer before xmas as long as everything goes according to plan. I would need to hear it though...I'm so after another supergroup and this curio totally matches my obsession for the obscure.

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:07 am

You got me curious on this one.... :?

I'm guessing a Sound City spin off??

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:55 am

yes there's always a chance that this is a sound city, but if that is the case why the same laney supergroup font on the back? It also looks face on like a london city, in fact the layout is seemingly identical. Of course I'm hoping this amp actually came out of the music city camp because that would make it more likely that this is actually a re-badged supergroup. It's a mystery...but an intriguing one. Also the lack of information suggests this is one rare amp

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:05 pm

I don't believe that's a Laney, the control panel layout is reversed for a start; it definitely looks more like a London City. The fonts used on the back of a Supergroup weren't proprietory to Laney, so I wouldn't put too much faith in that being an indication of origin.

Edit - OK, not exactly the same as a London City, but still Dutch:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_City

If they're asking £800 for one of those, they have some balls... :shock:

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:59 am

i think you may be right..and as you say if this is the case then they are asking way too much money. In fact they are just asking way too much for it anyway. I've come to believe this is a london city rebadged into supercity. If I'm back in the area where the amp is I may pluck the courage up to see if I can actually pull the chassis out so I can see the internal guts of the thing.

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 pm

I have to say it's not at all like my "Music City"

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 am

that is one nice looking amp!!!!!!!

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:40 am

how does the music city compare to the supergroup in terms of tone and output?

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 am

Has a much fuller spectrum of sound also has Bass and Treble boost, still a bit sterile much like Supergroups but loud as hell.
I understand this particular amp was designed and wired by several of their best gurus to be a bit of an "ultimate" amp...
I love it!

several more pics of it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81

Oh...and I'm looking for a BADGE... if anyone happens to be carrying one around in their back pocket....LOL

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

yes this looks great...I want to get one, I saw one go on ebay a few months ago for quite alot given its condition. Wife would kill me if I bought another amp, just picked up another Klipp for £210, she gave me the go ahead to get it but that's it now. That makes five amps bought in two months, and her birthday is coming up..

oldvalve
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby oldvalve » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 pm

you always tell them.... honey, it's better than money put in the bank! :wink:

Next

Return to Supergroup (1970's)