output of laney supergroup

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

output of laney supergroup

Postby pombagira » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm

okay so as some ofyou would have read I just picked up a laney 100watt supergroup. I was told by John Chambers that it reads as putting out 130 watts on the desk..is that standard or slightly less than what it should be. I ask because a 100 watt jmp registered as putting out 170 watts, while I know my sunn model ts register around 170 even though they are 150 watt amps. So perhaps some of you may know what the output should be when running it hot with all dials on ten.
Cheers, pete

Witloofboer
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: output of laney supergroup

Postby Witloofboer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:12 am

The power they deliver depends largely on the tubes you use. Keep in mind that you won't hear the difference between 150W & 160W, as your hearing works in a logaritmic way.

paraclete
ZeusZeus

Postby paraclete » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:15 pm

...and numbers,and effeciency ratings of speakers connected..
That said,though, I heard in a hundred different places over the years that Marshall,Laney and Hi Watt,in particular, rated their amps very conservatively in regards to wattages.
Blackmore often said his Major-even before mods-were supposed to be around 200 watts stock,but when measured were actually putting out close to 300 or more watts as often as not..
Mike Kelly Patriot Quilt top
B.C. RICH Bich 10
B.C. Rich ST-III w/DiM ]
Homebuilt Tele
83 "Deepest Purple" strat
100 watt MV AOR head
GH100L
Mini St

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:42 am

well I got the amp back from John Chambers, I have to say the controls are not particularly responsive other than the two gain controls..jeez this amp was run alongside a MK2 (red knob) sunn model t and the supergroup was louder. What an absolute beast, I can't even imagine what the Laney 200 watt supergroup sounds like...

Return to Supergroup (1970's)