Partridge transformers for newly acquired Laney Supergroup

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Partridge transformers for newly acquired Laney Supergroup

Postby pombagira » Mon May 31, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi everyone, I have recently picked up a laney supergroup mk 1 used originally by one of the short lived members of the idle race, but it is not in great condition I have to say. I suspect the transformers are knackered, but I need to know where I need to go to pick up new partridge transformers in the UK? If anyone can help that would be marvellous..
Pete
www.myspace.com/pombagiradoom

paraclete
ZeusZeus

Re: Partridge transformers for newly acquired Laney Supergroup

Postby paraclete » Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Highly unlikely you'll find actual Partridges,apart from canabalizing another Laney, or some lord-knows-what condition one on ebay-if not a counterfeit.
Or- have yours restored,perhaps..
http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/c ... tridge.htm
Mike Kelly Patriot Quilt top
B.C. RICH Bich 10
B.C. Rich ST-III w/DiM ]
Homebuilt Tele
83 "Deepest Purple" strat
100 watt MV AOR head
GH100L
Mini St

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Mon May 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Partridge is now part of Transformers & Rectifiers. I think they will make you replacements, given the part number, but expect it to be ££££ in small quantities. What makes you think the transformers are knackered anyway? I would get it looked at by a reputable valve amp tech - try John Chambers in Nottingham, he does transfomrer rewinds too.

More importantly, let's see some photos!

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 am

yes the photos will follow once I have picked it up. The reason for the belief that the transformers have probably seen better days is that they look very very rusty. There's no sound coming out of it and the only sign of life is the pilot light which comes on. It also looks like it has been modified. It has an extra knob on the far right hand side where there should be two lead inputs, I can only imagine that it is a master volume..but I won't know until I see it and check it out. John Chambers, yes I will contact him. That was one of the phone calls I was going to make today.
Info relating to Partridge transformers..well I assumed there were new partridge transformers, these are the ones that are now being placed in new hiwatt amps. I had a 120 sound city modified when the output transformer died by having my amp tech putting in a 200 watt o.t. that was sitting on his shelf. He gave me the impression you could buy these from new. Cost? £130 for the output transformer. I didn't think that was too bad.
Anyway thank you for your help...I am off to brum today to pick it up.
Cheers, Pete

User avatarAlnico
MortalMortal

Postby Alnico » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:37 pm

The transformers in the new Music Ground Hiwatts are not made by Partridge/T&R. They describe them as "Partridge design" or words to that effect, but they're definitely not Partridge transformers. Rust on the laminations shouldn't be a problem, as long as no attempt has been made to clean it off. Good luck with the restoration.

pombagira
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby pombagira » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 pm

hi, well I picked up the amp today and it looked pretty sorry, but having travelled up from Essex I thought I would drop in at John Chamber's place to see what he thought. What a lovely guy. He told me to leave it with him, by the time I got home the amp was sorted, some caps were replaced, nuts were replaced the ohm selector and a new set of power valves and preamp..I don't think I could have asked for a quicker turnaround. The guy I bought it off said it didn't work because he had just plugged it in but hadn't put in any power valves!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder!I'm grateful there are people like that out there because the amp cost me £160 and the service, valves etc, also cost another £160, so for £320 I picked up one of my top five amps I want to own. Brilliant. Thank you for suggestion that I seek the advice of John...he's the man.

Return to Supergroup (1970's)