yet another ebay vintage mystery Laney...

paraclete
ZeusZeus

yet another ebay vintage mystery Laney...

Postby paraclete » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 pm

saw this posted on Plexi Palace,felt it belongs here for a look.

some uk seller offering a "vintage-style" Laney Lead and Bass..

Old style chassis (but orange-ish in color)but no Laney Sound or Laney logos I can see from the pics provided,an after-market Marshall-style headshell, with an PT/AOR period Laney logo faceplate. 4 pre-tubes (not until the AORs,or am I totally off ,here?) and tube recitified?!?!? :?

Is it maybe some oddball old Laney crammed into a more recent shell,and lacking the period-correct nameplate,using the AOR logo?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANEY-ALL-TUBE-VI ... 1c0d880581
Mike Kelly Patriot Quilt top
B.C. RICH Bich 10
B.C. Rich ST-III w/DiM ]
Homebuilt Tele
83 "Deepest Purple" strat
100 watt MV AOR head
GH100L
Mini St

User avatarsoberskipper
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: yet another ebay vintage mystery Laney...

Postby soberskipper » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:16 pm

yeah, looks like a supergroup with custom made faceplates... also looks like the mains selector was taken out and the back plate covers it up. OT looks like Partridge and I can't really see the PT too well. What are those things in the midde of the top of the chassis from the back view? Weird amp indeed...
"Just tell the neighbors/cops/wife/sleeping whoever to shut the ....up,and mosh".

User avatarritz
HadesHades

Postby ritz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:32 am

Saw this on the PP board too. Certainly is an oddball amp...

I'm going to vote that it's not a Laney at all and that someone has just whacked that logo plate on there for shits 'n giggles. There's nothing about it really that matches any of the existing Laney models. The knob and switch layout and locations on the front don't match any found on a Laney amp. Likewise, the various fuse, jack and power inlet postitions on the back don't match either. Even though it's a Partridge, the position of the OT is different to any of Laney's models, and perhaps the most glaring inconsistency is that Laney never used a tube recifier.

Whatever that amp is, it's something old and something English... would be curious to find out.

paraclete wrote:4 pre-tubes (not until the AORs,or am I totally off ,here?)

Actually, Klipps used 4 preamp tubes (they needed an extra one for the funky klipp feature), and a lot of the Supergroup and Klipp era PAs used more than 3 pree tubes, simply due to the number of inputs. Also, the VA series used 4 pre tubes in the head (non-reverb) versions and 5 for the combo (reverb) versions.

soberskipper wrote:What are those things in the midde of the top of the chassis from the back view?

Hmmm... looks like a bank of filter caps laying on their side tied together with a large resistor. It's kinda hard to see, but that thing just in front of the caps might be a small phenolic tag-strip board.

User avatarsoberskipper
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby soberskipper » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:20 pm

ritz wrote:Saw this on the PP board too. Certainly is an oddball amp...

Even though it's a Partridge, the position of the OT is different to any of Laney's models, and perhaps the most glaring inconsistency is that Laney never used a tube recifier.

Forgot about that one! 5AR4? The OT position may look Sound City-ish? kinda pushed up towards the front?

soberskipper wrote:What are those things in the midde of the top of the chassis from the back view?

Hmmm... looks like a bank of filter caps laying on their side tied together with a large resistor. It's kinda hard to see, but that thing just in front of the caps might be a small phenolic tag-strip board.

Giant resistor instead of choke? and Caps on top is a truly priceless idea
"Just tell the neighbors/cops/wife/sleeping whoever to shut the ....up,and mosh".

User avatarritz
HadesHades

Postby ritz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Yeah,could be a giant voltage dropping resistor, or a filter cap bypass resistor (in parallel with the cap). Or perhaps even a fuse resistor (special resistor that acts as a safety fuse) as are sometimes found in older amps.

paraclete
ZeusZeus

Postby paraclete » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:08 am

ya but any idea what it IS?
Mike Kelly Patriot Quilt top
B.C. RICH Bich 10
B.C. Rich ST-III w/DiM ]
Homebuilt Tele
83 "Deepest Purple" strat
100 watt MV AOR head
GH100L
Mini St

User avatarritz
HadesHades

Postby ritz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:39 am

No idea, so far as to say it's something old and most likely British. Maybe one of the smaller, more obscure amp makers of the day? Hmmm... I guess that isn't really saying a lot, eh? :|

tenafly viper
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby tenafly viper » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm

I have seen 70's Carlson's if I am not mistaken that looked a lot like that. Same kind of styling and knobs and such. If I could find a picture I'd share.

Return to Supergroup (1970's)