Cub 12 Homemade Baffle

For discussion of all current Laney amplifiers
Howzee
MortalMortal

Cub 12 Homemade Baffle

Postby Howzee » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

I have recently changed the stock HH speaker in my Cub 12 to a Celestion Vintage 30 and also replaced all the Valves with JJ's. I've had this amp for nearly 3 yrs and I love it, the new speaker and valves sound great. Being an open back combo I thought I'd make a baffle to give that Vintage 30 some more punch as a lot of air escapes out the back. I didn't want to close the whole thing in as I want the Valves to breath. I had a 15mm thick piece of ply left over from some shelves I built, I cut it to the same width as the cub 43cm and 16cm high. I didn't want to cover the corner guards, I wanted it to sit flush against the cab. Doing this also meant there was an air gap at the bottom too so some colder air could be pulled in for the Valves. I got a bit of self adhesive vinyl from ebay, which isn't a perfect match, but the baffle is round the back, it just made a nicer finishing touch. Anyway I thought I'd share, and yes I know I should have got some black screws. :wink:

ImageIMG_1626 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1629 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1628 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1627 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1630 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1631 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1636 by Phil Howes, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1632 by Phil Howes, on Flickr

Polsky
ZeusZeus

Re: Cub 12 Homemade Baffle

Postby Polsky » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 am

Nice Job bud. Did you noticed any change in speaker sound? I'm converting my stuff too. :D
Laney IRT60 H[/color][/b]
Laney AOR 5012 Series II combo.
Laney AOR 100MV[/color][/b]
Laney Linebacker 30
4x12 Cabinet Vintage30 and G1
[color=#BF0000]Laney AOR 2x12 cab.

Marlboro Ultra Light

Howzee
MortalMortal

Postby Howzee » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks! The Vintage 30 has made a difference, compared to the stock HH speaker. Its louder, and less sharp on the highs. I only finished the baffle yesterday, plus put new valves in. I need to play it more with and without the baffle, but i think it has some more punch. I'll try and record some samples over the weekend and post them up. Cheers

Howzee
MortalMortal

Postby Howzee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Hmmm, I did a quick recording with a Sure SM57 pointed straight at the dust cap of the cone. With and without the Baffle on. I double tracked them and panned each one left and right. I put a noise gate on as there was some hum. Weidly less after I took the baffle off and moved the amp? maybe being in the corner of my room there is more interference nearer the sockets. With sounds a little darker, without it seems to have more air and wider? I don't know if being in the corner of my room made any difference. When I took the baffle off I moved my amp slightly more out of the corner. but mic placement and levels were all the same.

With the baffle https://soundcloud.com/lospodcast/output-1-2

Without Baffle https://soundcloud.com/lospodcast/output-3-4

Polsky
ZeusZeus

Postby Polsky » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 pm

I definitely like sound with baffle . More juicy and rounder. To be honest you had a great idea. Logically this baffle shouldn't change anything in open back combo, but in reality did a lot. You are genius :D
Laney IRT60 H[/color][/b]
Laney AOR 5012 Series II combo.
Laney AOR 100MV[/color][/b]
Laney Linebacker 30
4x12 Cabinet Vintage30 and G1
[color=#BF0000]Laney AOR 2x12 cab.

Marlboro Ultra Light

User avatarVoxman
ZeusZeus

Postby Voxman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 am

Nice job. I put a V30 and JJ's in mine 5 years ago & it made a massive difference. You will get a bit more bottom end with the baffle & it's very much akin to the open back vs closed back preference thing ie more bottom end vs wider spread with open back.
Laney VC30-210, GS112VE, Cub 12R
Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX,AD212
Marshall DSL401, Valvestate 8080
PRSCu24
Gibson LP Custom,SG Standard
'69 Fender Strat (orig)
50th Ann US Strat Deluxe
'89 US Telecaster
2010 US Strat
Epi Sheraton MkII
Washburn EA30

Return to Current Laney Products