VC15 reverb upgrading questions

For discussion of all current Laney amplifiers
telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

VC15 reverb upgrading questions

Postby telbert twang » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 am

Hi to the community , my first post here!

I have question about the reverb unit of Laney VC 15-110 . I very much love this small amp , but the reverb is a little "spongy" , so i am looking for opportunities to upgrade it , to get it more to the Fender territory .

Has anybody ever done/thought to do the same (replacing the reverb with a better one) ?

Does anybody know, what type reverb unit is used in the VC15 ?
(i have read about "type 4" being used in L5T, but no info about the VC 15´s reverb, and the Laney service from their website seems the last place from where to get answers, they have never answered my questions)

(here is the wiring diagram if somebody wiser would bother to interest in my question : http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237 ... 5small.jpg

and here is a possible place to buy accutronics reverb units in EU :
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/english-st ... Cans-c-32/ )

Any suggestions/comments are welcome

Best Regards,

Telbert

telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

Re: VC15 reverb upgrading questions

Postby telbert twang » Tue May 19, 2009 8:24 am

... And done that by now ( Accutronics , 8BB3C1B instead of the original 8BB2C1B - everything else is identical except the decay time changed from 1.75-3.00 to 2.75-4.00 sec ) . The reverb improvement is even bigger than i dared to hope. Reverb is now much longer. I highly recommend this upgrade for every VC 15 .

telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby telbert twang » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 am

A small update with additional question :

Although the reverb now sounds a lot longer and fuller, it still does not sound right to my ears. It sounds kind of too warm - the mids will prevalate overall too much. I want to get it sounding more wet-kind, fendery splash-sh-sh . I am aware that the short type-8 is not performance wise as good as the long type-4 tanks , but still believe that there must be a way to set up/change reverb´s overall tone by making changes in it´s circuit ( caps, resistors...) Anyone wise to help me out locating the key-components in the circuit ?

Thanks in advance for any comments ,

Telbert

User avatarVoxman
HadesHades

Postby Voxman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 am

Any onboard reverb will be limited, & they're costly & fiddly to replace/upgrade/tweak as you've discovered. How about using an external reverb unit that you could precisely control & alter to suit your needs (depth, range, type etc). There are lots of great units around that don't cost a fortune and sound fabulous

Rich :wink:
Laney VC30-210, Cub 12R
Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX,AD212
Marshall DSL401, Valvestate 8080
PRSCu24
Gibson LPCustom,SG Standard
'69 Fender Strat (orig)
50th Ann US Strat Deluxe
'89 US Fender Tele
Am. Standard Strat
Epi Sheraton MkII
Washburn EA30

telbert twang
HephaestusHephaestus

Postby telbert twang » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:20 am

I want to keep/retain everything in one piece ( onboard) with that lovely compact combo. The current reverb is the best ( and longest decay ) from Accutronics short tanks line and I am sure that there is a ´tone cap´somewhere in the reverb circuit, which does not let the reverb can shine with wet and lush reverb. At the moment the reverb´s overall tone is coloured kind of ´oily´, ´boomy´ - too warm... If only someone would show me from the wiring diagra, which cap(s) ...

Return to Current Laney Products